Fermentation is the process in which healthy bacteria feed off sugar in food or drinks to create lactic acid. This helps to preserve the food and create good-for-you enzymes and probiotics which are beneficial to digestion & our overall health. When our guts are happy other functions of our bodies, such as immune system, metabolism and our gastrointestinal tract are in sync.
What makes fermented foods & drinks beneficial?
Probiotics - They are great for improving immune & digestive tract health! Eating and drinking fermented foods puts beneficial bacteria into your gut, which helps to balance the bacteria within your digestive system. They have also been shown to help slow (or even reverse) some diseases!
Digestion - They help to break down foods & make digestion easier! In order to properly digest food & absorb nutrients our bodies need a proper balance of gut bacteria.
Inhibit Pathogenic Bacteria - Lactic Acid bacteria can be compared to a natural antibiotic. They produce a protein called bacteriocins which are "attack proteins" that help to eliminate pathogenic bacteria by creating a hole in their cell wall.
Overall Health Benefits - Having a healthy gut is very important to overall health as well as mood support and brain function. Some of these include improvement with depression, anxiety, skin problems, brain fog, fatigue & weight-loss!
Fermented foods & drinks to incorporate into your diet
1. Sauerkraut / Kimchi
- Sauerkraut is high in fibre, Vitamin A/C/K and B. It also has a good source of iron, copper, calcium, sodium, manganese & magnesium. It also helps to boost digestive health, aid circulation, fights inflammation, strengthens bones and reduces cholesterol levels.
- Kimchi helps with cardiovascular & digestive health. It contains high levels of antioxidants.
- Contains B-Vitamins, enzymes, probiotics and has a high acidic content (acetic, gluconic & lactic). Improves digestion, aids weight-loss, increases energy, detoxes the body, improves the immune system, helps with joint pain & can help prevent cancer.
- Contain a multitude of vitamins & minerals. They are great for those that have a Vitamin K deficiency.
4. Kefir / Yogurt
- Kefir contains high levels of Vitamin B12, calcium, magnesium, Vitamin K2, biotin, folate, enzymes & probiotics. It also boosts immunity, heal irritable bowel, kills candida & improve digestion.
5. "Living" Beets / Salsa
- Helps reduce cholesterol, increase bone density, reduce menopausal symptoms and has the same protein quality as meat.
- Contains anti-aging properties and is great for skin health! It also helps to boost the immune system and lower risk of cancer.
Fermented Foods & Drinks available in store!